It makes sense that the two biggest causes for fires in the kitchen are unattended cooking and combustibles left near a hot stove. It also probably doesn’t help that you’re drinking a bit more booze while putting the meal together – and letting your guard down …
Here are a few simple tips for keeping your kitchen safe through the holidays …
1. Never leave the stove or oven unattended – grease fires can start in seconds.
2. If you must leave home for even a short time, turn off the stove or oven.
3. Keep anything flammable – pot holders, dish towels, food wrappings – at least three feet from the stove.
4. Roll up your sleeves and keep your apron or clothing wrapped close to your body.
5. Use back burners when possible and keep pot handles turned in.
6. If a fire occurs on the stove, smother it with a pan lid.
7. Oven fires are best contained by closing the oven door tightly. Never use water on a grease fire.