Now we have a good reason to check your social media first thing in the morning!
WAKING TO THE LIGHT FROM ELECTRONICS HAS POSITIVE EFFECT: Researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute find that morning exposure to blue light- the kind that computers and phones give off- may reduce daily stress. Researchers had a group of teenagers sleep for only 4.5-hours three nights, and had them awaken to either dim natural light or blue light. Teens who woke up to the blue light had nearly double the level of cortisol, the stress hormone, as those who woke up to the dim light. A professor from Rensselaer says that elevated levels of cortisol throughout the day have a negative impact on the body, but having a morning peak of the hormone resets your cardiac rhythm, and syncs your body to the day, warming it up for the stresses ahead. (Men's Health)
Veteran's Day is this coming Monday. A day set aside to honor those who have served our country. It's a Federal holiday so government services (like mail delivery) will not be available.
Here's the info on the parade. If you get any good pictures, E-mail Me! and I'll post them here in the blog on Monday.
Saturday, November 10
11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
The Parade begins at the corner of Orange Avenue and Robinson Street. Here's the route:
On Saturday, November 10, at 5 a.m. a double lane closure of the two outside lanes at the Fairbanks curve of Interstate 4 will begin. The innermost of the outside lanes is expected to reopen at approximately 12 p.m. Work on the outermost outside lane is expected to last until approximately 5 p.m. Please plan accordingly.
Click here for more Backstreet Boys!
The BSBs were at Disneyland (unfortunately not DisneyWORLD) to debut their new Christmas song during the taping of the parks big Christmas Day Parade special. You can see it on ABC Christmas morning. The new single is titled 'it's Christmas Time Again'. Listen to the new song below:
So your candidate didn't win...or he/she DID win, but you are worn out from all the hoopla, rhetoric, arguing and the constant barrage of political advertising (tell me about it!). What to do? Our friends at the Huffington Post have a few suggestions to beat that post-election stress. It goes without saying that these tips might work for any stress related tension:
1) Read a book. Sometimes we need to consciously assign a new topic to our minds to focus on, and reading is the best escape there is! While reading, your mind is taken off everything going on around you, and you are transported into a whole new realm. For obvious reasons, do not choose a politically-charged book at this time, or you will defeat the purpose of redirecting your thoughts.
2) Focus. Focus on the positive. When we focus on why someone is wrong, or when we vilify another person for their beliefs, we provide a stronger charge to the negative, which only brings us more negative things to dwell upon. Always focus on what is positive.
3) Unplug. Make a conscious choice to unplug yourself from the topic. You do not have to read, watch, or discuss anything that fuels your anxiety. Set limits, get updates if necessary, but ultimately you may want to remove yourself completely.
4) Breathe. When you find yourself under stress and you need an immediate intervention, breathe! Deep breathing will calm your mind and bring you back to center. Close your eyes and take slow deep breaths; focus on your breathing. After a few minutes, you will have gained the upper hand over your stress.
5) Exercise. Exercise is nature's antidepressant. Studies have shown that exercise increases the synthesis of new neurons in the brain, which is the same effect reported through the use of antidepressant medication. Burn off some steam; make some time for yourself and go on a brisk walk!
Click here to watch more videos on our Madonna page.
Happy 3oth to Madonna! Okay, she's not 30-years-old...but it WAS 30 years ago today that she entered the Billboard Charts for the first time with "Everything". She went on to have 156 No 1's -the most of any artist in history.
Check out the video for "Everything" below. Be prepared to be embarrassed...and let your kids know this was the epitome of cool back in the day :)
Good news! That crane that was dangling 90 stories above 57th Street in Manhattan was finally secured late yesterday. When word came out about this new luxury condo building it got me to thinking...just what does one of these super-expensive apartments look like on the inside? Take a tour of the most expensive apartment in New York City below...we can always dream!