Posted Friday, November 8th 2013 @ 7am
As kids get older, every mom dreams of being the "cool" parent ... the Lorelai Gilmore of motherhood ... The Lifetime movie mom who all the kids want to confide in and teens don't consider lame.
Being close with your kids and current in terms of social trends does not translate into being BFFs with your teen. Save the best friend status for when they are adults. Don't make these "Cool Mom" mistakes:
- Letting them call you by your first name: Nope, not cool – just disrespectful.
- Cursing like a sailor: Are you gonna slip and drop a four letter word every now and again? Yes. Just don't do it all the time – you don't want them to pick up that habit either!
- Dressing too young: No, you cannot share clothes with your daughter. You are embarrassing now, not cool!
- Buying them alcohol: Not only is this a bad idea, but you can get in serious legal trouble. You should NOT be buying booze for your kids and their friends.
- Flirting with their friends: If you want to mortify your son, then by all means flirt away. But being the town MILF will not win you cool points with your kid.
- Being too open and detailed about sex: Discussing protection and being healthy is important, but sharing intimate details is horrifying and extremely damaging to your kids. Don't ever put those images in their heads!